Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

"We're having a heat wave....a tropical heat wave".  It's a balmy 23 degrees and no more snow, thank you Jesus.  It's been bitter for the last week, had to have our driveway plowed twice.  Sun is out and things are starting to melt off the roof and cars.  There is a 36"...yes, 1 yd...icicle hanging from the gutter outside the kitchen window (hubby measured it).  Still have about 11" of snow in the yard.  Put out a bunch of veggie trimmings for the bunnies.  Saw one chewing on the lilac bushes this morning.  Poor things can't get down to find food on the ground.  Going to warm up next week so things will be getting back to normal.....finally.

☺️

• Love 5

Lucinda, if you want to watch Wandavision, you should go ahead and watch it! Sure, it helps to have seen the movies, but your son could explain the basic backstory to help you understand what’s going on. It’s a great series!

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

We're scheduled Fri.....

It went so smoothly here and while it really doesn't change day to day living all that much it was also a dose of hope.  I hope things go okay for you both on Friday.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, boes said:

I got my Covid shot!  

Excellent news!

When do you get your booster?

4 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

We're scheduled Fri.....

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

We still have no idea when we are getting ours. 😞

I drive by an inoculation site on my way to work, and it's jammed at 7:30AM.

• Love 3

I got my parental units their first dose last Thursday, with the second dose scheduled for March 11!  It was like winning the lottery!  It couldn't have gone any more smoothly. 

My sister has already had her second dose (she works at the university dental school, and all of the health sciences faculty were considered to be in group 1A).  She had no problems with the first dose, but she could barely lift her arm after the second.  And a lot of her colleagues were so sick the day after they got dose 2 that they had to call off work.  She got the Maderna vaccine, while my parents got Pfizer. I've heard that younger people have stronger reactions than older people.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

She had no problems with the first dose, but she could barely lift her arm after the second.  And a lot of her colleagues were so sick the day after they got dose 2 that they had to call off work.  She got the Maderna vaccine,

I had the same problem with my arm, but not much else.  I have another dose on the 11th and several people have said that the effects are worse with the 2nd dose (Moderna).  We shall see.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, OhioSongbird said:

Commercials you love...past or present

Commercials you hate...past or present

Any commercial with Kirsten Bell and Dax Shepard -- Lazyboy Furniture, Samsung Appliances, particularly Hello Bello Diapers -- It's irrational, but I want to slap the smug off their hipster faces.

• LOL 7
15 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

We got our shots this morning!  Have to go back in a month for the 2nd dose.  Arms aren't sore so far so all is well.

Woo-hoo!

That’s awesome!  My mom got her 2nd dose yesterday, she said so far she has had zero side effects.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel, we are 🙏🏼 for a visit from her in May. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, OhioSongbird said:

We got our shots this morning!  Have to go back in a month for the 2nd dose.  Arms aren't sore so far so all is well.

Woo-hoo!

Fabulous!  It feels like a step forward, doesn't it?

• Love 6
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I miss the old Norelco commercial with Santa riding on an electric razor. It always heralded the season. At least we still have the Cadbury Bunny.

OMFG, I may be the only one but I HATE HATE HATE that MFn' Cadbury commercial. I have hated it since day 1. And every MFn' year they harass viewers with it again. Make a new commercial! That one sucks! I think it's that godawful clucking. It sucks so much. So much. And it's already started this year.

I also hate the Hershey's kisses where they ring them like bells because it does not look like the kisses are actually assigned to music notes. They are "ringing" randomly. How fucking hard would it be to assign the notes to certain kisses? I'll tell you - not hard at all. They should remake it correctly. Illogical visuals blow. Or should I say anti-logical visuals hurt the brain.

• LOL 4

There's nothing I hate more (cept ol' ButtBiscuit of course) than the Senokot commerical where some poor schmuck sold his soul and is now being forced to sing pretty much any inappropriate song while a bunch of youngish old folks who look like they spent their 30's right up to their early 60's on elliptical machines while having their teeth painted with some high gloss and their hair surgically repaired, dancing around because they're able to take a decent dump again.  Whatever depraved dweeb made that commercial needs to be punished and badly.

There's nothing that makes me laugh harder than any, ANY erectile dysfunction ad.  There's always some field, a running dog, a guy who looks like he was created from George Clooney's dead skin cells opining about how THIS (fill in the drug name) made him feel even better than a double shot of Senokot.

Buy the laxatives, dude.

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, SweePea59 said:

@boes, I never saw either of those commercials before. And I sure didn't know that guys get bent "vegetables" as they get older. That carrot was really disturbing. Damn.

I guess it could be even worse.....just think if he'd been making radish roses......

Men....do NONE of these things!  Instead go have a gin and senokot over ice.

• LOL 6
8 hours ago, Capricasix said:

I swear, whenever I watch American TV (which isn’t often 😆), all the commercials are for drugs, ambulance chasers, and cars! 

And Joe Namath with the Medicare Advantage!

All the channels I watch see to be what you mentioned plus walk-in tubs, Medicare supplement plans, car insurance and a southern woman who invests in "goad" (gold). It used to annoy me, but then I watched something with pizza commercials and that made me really sad, since I'm gluten intolerant with food allergies. So I figure these old-people commercials are actually better. They don't entice me to buy anything or make me sad like tasty food ads.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, SweePea59 said:

And Joe Namath with the Medicare Advantage!

All the channels I watch see to be what you mentioned plus walk-in tubs, Medicare supplement plans, car insurance and a southern woman who invests in "goad" (gold). It used to annoy me, but then I watched something with pizza commercials and that made me really sad, since I'm gluten intolerant with food allergies. So I figure these old-people commercials are actually better. They don't entice me to buy anything or make me sad like tasty food ads.

Yes to all of this!  I’ve also noticed during my local news that I have on between 7-10 AM it is constant local HVAC and home improvement commercials.  Like you will have back to back to back AC tune up ads and then back to the news where one of them is “sponsoring” the weather scroll.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

SING and DANCE!

The First Moonwalk - Bill Bailey - The Apollo Theatre - New York - 1955

Jumpin Jive - Cab Calloway and the Nicholas Brothers

Modern Masters: Maurice Hines

Gregory Hines & Bunny Briggs: "On Green Dolphin St."

Gregory Hines Solo Tap Scene White Nights

Sammy Davis Jr. Tap Dancing - Italy 1962

Glory - Pippin - Ben Vereen

Hellzapoppin - Lindy Hop, Featuring Frankie Manning and Norma Miller  1941

Dorothy Dandridge / Nicholas Brothers / Chattanooga Choo Choo

The Nicholas Brothers: We Sing and We Dance (1992)

The Four Step Brothers (1954) | Feets Do Your Stuff

Profiles in perseverance -- You may not know their names. But these courageous Black Americans changed history.

Every Black History Month, we tend to celebrate the same cast of historic figures. They are the civil rights leaders and abolitionists whose faces we see plastered on calendars and postage stamps. They resurface each February when the nation commemorates African Americans who have transformed America.

They deserve all their accolades. But this month we are focusing instead on 28 seminal Black figures – one for each day of February – who don’t often make the history books.

Each transformed America in a profound way. Many don’t fit the conventional definition of a hero. Some were foul-tempered, weighed down by personal demons, and misunderstood by their contemporaries.

One was a mystic, another was a spy who posed as a slave, and another was a brilliant but troubled poet dubbed the “Godfather of Rap.” Few were household names. All of them were pioneers.

• Love 7

I’m feeling so optimistic with the spring weather coming around.  It’s been a pretty great week.  We hit 100 days of school (in person‼️).  I’m going through our closets and getting rid of so much stuff which is kinda sad. All these clothes I have that I will never wear again even if we do go back to the office.  And the kiddo is growing like a weed I HATE IT.  😂.  Last night he asked me to watch an episode of Wanda Vision with him and I was like ok whatever (not my thing).   Well yah know what?  It was dang good.  I’m still not going to get into the rest of that stuff but one got me. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Love 7

original.jpg

A screech owl peers down at the photographer - Dennis Stogsdill / iStockphoto / Getty

Superb Owl Sunday V -- A special Sunday event: The Atlantic's fifth annual photographic essay celebrating these magnificent birds of prey. These nocturnal hunters hail from Europe, Asia, North America, and South America, and are captured here in photos from recent years. If you have some time today before the big game (or are skipping the event entirely), You are invited to take a look; as always, it was a hoot to put this together.

• Love 8

We do get the occasional car ad in Canada, but drug ads (TV, radio & print) are prohibited. Now that you mention it, ambulance-chaser lawyer ads may be prohibited too because I only recall seeing them on US channels.

• Love 8